Consumers could make over £100 by recycling their old mobile phones, new research has revealed.
Hundreds of thousands of old mobile phones are rendered obsolete every year as consumers upgrade to newer, better models with the latest features.
However, with many looking to boost their income in the current climate, customers could gain hundreds – and help the environment – just by searching through their cupboards and selling their old tech.
In fact, the average trade-in value of a recyclable used handset is £111, according to GiffGaff.
Alongside the financial hit, not recycling an old mobile phone will contribute to the growing problem of e-waste.
The World Economic Forum estimates that just 20 per cent of global e-waste is recycled, while the other 80 per cent ends up in landfill or incinerated.
To help solve this problem, consumers are encouraged to recycle not only their old phones but also their used tablets, laptops and cameras.
This is especially a good option for consumers whose devices have seen better days, for example, if they have major scratches or dents in them.
Ash Schofield, CEO at GiffGaff, said: “With the cost of living rising across the board, now is a great time to get something back by trading in your old phone. Good for your wallet, and for the planet too.”
i reveals exactly how recycling your tech works, how much you could make from it and why it can help save the environment.
Recycled devices such as mobile phones, tablets, and wearables are thoroughly inspected to identify the level of refurbishment required.
After, certified technicians perform the necessary fixes for these devices to be put back on the market and sold as refurbished items.
Devices that are beyond repair are salvaged for parts and materials to be reused.
This helps to cut the amount of waste going to landfill sites each year and reduces the environmental damage associated with making components for new mobile phones.
Many of the major mobile providers offer recycling services including O2, Three, EE and Vodafone.
Some will offer cashback in return for your old devices whilst others offer vouchers at high street retailers in return.
Meanwhile, Apple will give you money off a new purchase when you trade in your old one.
There are also many websites that offer mobile recycling including Music Magpie, Compare and Recycle and Sell My Mobile.
Consumers can also use Recycle Now’s website to find the nearest recycling bin that accepts mobiles.
There are many reasons why recycling your mobile phone is a better option than simply discarding it.
Recycling unwanted tech items is not only beneficial for the environment, as fewer devices will become e-waste, but they also hold a monetary value the owner can recover.
The sooner you realise you no longer need the tech you’ve replaced, the less it will depreciate and the more money you will be able to recycle it for.
With regards to the environment, recycling saves phones from ending up in landfill whilst recycling it also means materials can pop back into circulation.
It also reduces the need to mine ores for new phones and is a safer way to protect the environment, humans and ecosystems.
Even if you don’t want to recycle, it is worth re-selling or passing on for free so the phone has a second life.
Where you recycle, and which device you hand in, will depend on how much money you get back.
It will also depend on the quality of the mobile you hand in, for example, if it has any major faults, dents or issues.
However, according to Compare and Recycle, a three year old iPhone XS that has been kept in good condition can earn you upwards of £192, or a well taken care of Galaxy S10 can pocket you at least £145.
If you’ve got an old iPad laying around, for example the 2018 model, this can add a further £125 to your earnings by recycling it.
Throw in an Apple Watch Series 3 that you’ve since replaced with a newer model and that’s another £60 – this means your bundle of unused tech can be recycled for close to £400.
All rights reserved. © 2021 Associated Newspapers Limited.
MSME Day: As technology unlocks economic value for small enterprises, By Zeenat Sambo – Premium Times
Technology has a huge effect on the ability of businesses and governments to harness natural resources and use them in the most effective ways possible